Still kind of jet-lagged and out of it. But, here's a rundown of a few quick observations:
CLEAN: Like probably one of the cleanest cities ever. Don't get me wrong, there seems to have been an ever-present "sand haze" this week -- but every shop, store, restaurant has been absolutely immaculate.
FRESH: Remember that "bidet culture" thing? Well, EVERY toilet here has had a little "personal faucet hose" attached. Each of the toilets in my apartment, and even all of the toilets in our office. If that's not feeling "fresh" -- I don't know what is. And yes, the toilets in my apartment are also square-shaped. (Did you notice I said "toilets" plural? I have 2 bathrooms!) But with Robes being the clothing of choice for the locals, doubtful that I'll be able to prove any theory as to why they prefer square-shaped toilets here.
CHEAP OIL: It costs around $5 to fill a tank of gas. That's right. A tank. Not a gallon.
EXPENSIVE WATER: It can cost $5 to buy a gallon of water.
"THANK YOU" MEANS "NO". When I ask my colleagues whether they'd like something (say, a piece of chocolate, or gum) they say "thank you." And I just look at them, not knowing whether I should just walk away or shove a piece of gum in their mouth. I now realize they mean "No, thank you." Funny -- how "Thank you" means "yes" to us.
EVERYTHING CAN BE BOUGHT HERE: Seriously. There's more in Dubai, than in Canada or the U.S. I went to a mall today and it had all of the things I can't get in the U.S. or Canada (Canadian: Boots drugstores, Marks & Spender, Mars bars; US: Pinkberry, Sephora, Excedrin.)
TACKY LOOKS THE SAME EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD: Saw a few Ferraris, and Bentleys cruising down "Jumeirah Walk" (the Rodeo Drive of the Middle East), and the obligatory "cool dude" wearing sunglasses with the music turned up a little too loud. Looks just as ostentatious and ridiculous here as it does back home.
SAFETY VS. SECURITY: I have never felt safer in a city as I do here. There doesn't seem to be the same level of creepiness that you sometimes get when you're in a big, modern, developed city -- people checking you out, leering, or just plain crazy; Nor is there that underlying fear for crimes of poverty" (i.e. pick pocketing, theft, etc.) that you expect when you're in a developing country city. Here -- there are tons of security-type guards everywhere. . . but they don't check anything. They seem to be more like "receptionists" -- or to make sure people pay their $$ (which is the real God here?) I could go in or out of a building, through gates . . . and I just nod, and they let you in. But then.. . upon thinking, I guess that would make sense. I mean, after all, the "security threat" that we all have learned to live with really wouldn't exist here, would it? (I wonder -- do they do the same "airport security" thing here? Do they even think it's necessary?)
Moment of Zen: Sat at the beach today, watching surfers against the backdrop of mosque domes.
Starting to want a drink. . . ! Let's see how this goes.
CLEAN: Like probably one of the cleanest cities ever. Don't get me wrong, there seems to have been an ever-present "sand haze" this week -- but every shop, store, restaurant has been absolutely immaculate.
FRESH: Remember that "bidet culture" thing? Well, EVERY toilet here has had a little "personal faucet hose" attached. Each of the toilets in my apartment, and even all of the toilets in our office. If that's not feeling "fresh" -- I don't know what is. And yes, the toilets in my apartment are also square-shaped. (Did you notice I said "toilets" plural? I have 2 bathrooms!) But with Robes being the clothing of choice for the locals, doubtful that I'll be able to prove any theory as to why they prefer square-shaped toilets here.
CHEAP OIL: It costs around $5 to fill a tank of gas. That's right. A tank. Not a gallon.
EXPENSIVE WATER: It can cost $5 to buy a gallon of water.
"THANK YOU" MEANS "NO". When I ask my colleagues whether they'd like something (say, a piece of chocolate, or gum) they say "thank you." And I just look at them, not knowing whether I should just walk away or shove a piece of gum in their mouth. I now realize they mean "No, thank you." Funny -- how "Thank you" means "yes" to us.
EVERYTHING CAN BE BOUGHT HERE: Seriously. There's more in Dubai, than in Canada or the U.S. I went to a mall today and it had all of the things I can't get in the U.S. or Canada (Canadian: Boots drugstores, Marks & Spender, Mars bars; US: Pinkberry, Sephora, Excedrin.)
TACKY LOOKS THE SAME EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD: Saw a few Ferraris, and Bentleys cruising down "Jumeirah Walk" (the Rodeo Drive of the Middle East), and the obligatory "cool dude" wearing sunglasses with the music turned up a little too loud. Looks just as ostentatious and ridiculous here as it does back home.
SAFETY VS. SECURITY: I have never felt safer in a city as I do here. There doesn't seem to be the same level of creepiness that you sometimes get when you're in a big, modern, developed city -- people checking you out, leering, or just plain crazy; Nor is there that underlying fear for crimes of poverty" (i.e. pick pocketing, theft, etc.) that you expect when you're in a developing country city. Here -- there are tons of security-type guards everywhere. . . but they don't check anything. They seem to be more like "receptionists" -- or to make sure people pay their $$ (which is the real God here?) I could go in or out of a building, through gates . . . and I just nod, and they let you in. But then.. . upon thinking, I guess that would make sense. I mean, after all, the "security threat" that we all have learned to live with really wouldn't exist here, would it? (I wonder -- do they do the same "airport security" thing here? Do they even think it's necessary?)
Moment of Zen: Sat at the beach today, watching surfers against the backdrop of mosque domes.
Starting to want a drink. . . ! Let's see how this goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment