Thursday, January 5, 2012

So. . New Year's was interesting. . .

I spent New Year's Eve at the Atlantis Hotel's "Sandance" party. . . a beach rave. . . me. . . at my age.  I think I might actually have been the oldest person there.  They asked for ID at the gate.  It's been decades since I've been at such a place.   'Nuff said.

But I partied!  Actually found myself dancing to the grooves of some of the top European DJs today. And was amused at how "dancing etiquette" hadn't changed a lot since the days when I actually used to go dancing and clubbing:  guys still gather round in packs. . . trying to "break in" to our little "girl pack" (I was there with 2 female colleagues.  My other colleague, a 30-something male whose birthday was also on New Year's couldn't join us because his 20-year old girlfriend couldn't get in!!!! (Age limit was 21.)  This week I've been making sharp-tongued jokes about how he is in the wrong profession.. . . and that clearly he should have pursued early education, given his love for . . . . children!

The "scene" was pretty much what I would have expected:  lots of short dresses, heels (yes, even on the beach), gangs of greasy guys just staring at the women. . . except the crowd was decidedly skewed towards more South Asian/Middle Eastern revellers.  One "Dubai" thing seemed to be the preponderance of "shisa" pipes that they sold. . . so people could sit on towels on the sand and smoke some "shish". . .

British girls definitely get drunk the fastest.  And slimey guys are the same everywhere.  One young drunk man started inching his face close to me:  "Hey. . . I like older women."  WELL, DON'T LOOK AT ME!!!  I ended up doing some mild cheek bussing with some of the sweeter guys. . . and my favorite "line"of the evening was from a British guy:  "Give us a kiss, then!"  Short, sweet and to the point.  How could you not?!

It was actually quite fun, and it was nice seeing the fire works.  Had a nice Zen moment watching fireworks on the beach. . . and thanked Allah (when in Rome. . . ) that I was given such an awesome opportunity to be here!

It's kind of scary, how easily I've slipped back into a "party-scene". . . Working hard and partying hard.  Tonight is just the 2nd night this week I've been in. . . the previous 10 days having been filled with dinners or bar nights (when we could get in, that is, with my colleague's young guest. . . )  I've begged off the dinners the last few nights.  Pure, sober sleep is what I crave these days.

Earlier that week, I stopped off at the Dubai "Global Village". . . a tacky, State-Fair-type exhibit . . with pavilions from around the world:  it was HUGE frankly -- and I loved seeing all of the families out:  The women in their black abayas. . . their different "face coverings". . .and also seeing the different men's robes as well.  That night, we could only make it to a few pavilions and got a taste (literally) of why different countries claim to be the "World' Best". .  I got to taste Yemeni honey (Yes, it was delicious. . and there were like 10 types of it!)  I tasted so many different types of Saudi dates (who knew there were so many kinds?!) Saw strange and wonderful spices in the Yemen stand.  Tasted Palestinian cheese and olives.

That's one of the most interesting things for me -- starting to make the distinctions within the Middle East:  how you have to ask for a specific TYPE of date. . . . different types of soft goat cheese. . . specifying the kind of honey you want . . . acacia honey, sidr honey. . different kinds of zahatar (a spice). "Married people's" honey!  (apparently there are special herbs. . . for . . uh. . performance, I guess. . )  Saw the Lebanese pavilions, the Egyptians. . . Iranians, Afghanis. . . Frankly, it was wonderful -- and a nice time when I really felt I was in the "Middle East" and seeing a "real"everyday  side, and not a political one.

I'm starting to make "distinctions" and pick up on prejudicial references that I hear from my Arab colleagues:   Lebanese women are beautiful -- but it's all from plastic surgery.  Egyptian women are a little "cheap" in that they wear too much make-up.  Kuwaitis are . . well. . . GAY (or flamboyant and drama queens at the very least.)   Moroccan women are incredibly "hot" in bed (and are the most popular hookers, apparently.)  Saudis drink too much when they leave Saudi (because they can't in their country.)  They all cross the border to Bahrain on the weekends to drink, gamble and party. . .  Both Saudis and Emirates accuse each other of being "spoiled and rich".  Saudis will do anything to "get one over" on you. . . .they'll overcharge, and lie about the quality of the product.  Emirates will overcharge you too, but at least they'll make an attempt to make a decent, high-quality product. . . Palestinian women seem to have ended up well -- they're beautiful, and clearly know how to "marry well". . .in that more than a few of the Ruler's wives (Sheikha of Qatar, Queen of Jordan, etc.) are Palestinian.

Can't escape prejudice anywhere.  Makes me realize the futility of trying to deny differences.  Should just work to accept them.   All of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment