If someone had told me just 2 months ago, that I would be closing out this year living in Dubai, I would have told them they were high. But here I am. . . just weeks away from jetting off to this fascinating and exciting part of the world for a few months (for work). . . a land where indoor ski resorts and designer handbags thrive equally.
Met with R the other night -- who's an ex-colleague who lived in Dubai several years back. Everyone's been telling me: "Don't worry! It'll be great! I'm so JEALOUS! You'll be like Carrie in "Sex in the City". . . tons of shopping!) But . . um. . . I'm not exactly like the SITC girls . . in that I'm Asian, and Asian women tend to have a different socioeconomic context in different countries. I went to R because he spent a ton of time there, and was a real straight-shooter. I wanted a reality check from him.
"So", I asked him, "How low on the totem pole will I actually be in Dubai?" (I, being Asian, single, female.) His answer was less than comforting.
"Look, just make sure you make it clear ASAP that you're not a Filippina." (?! I was already curious that he didn't follow this descriptor with an occupation: i.e. a Filippina . . .nanny. . .housekeeper? It was already understood. And apparently, this would be just millimeters above Indian, which is pret-ty low there.)
"Make sure you get it out there first thing after you say Hello: "I'm from a Western country, and I work for a big-ass multinational conglomerate." (Read: I am not a Chinese hooker, and I am not looking for work as a nanny.)
Listen, he continued, I will be more than happy to introduce you to some ex-pat friends I still have there. . . but. . uh. . I don't think it's a good idea for me to introduce you to my Arabic buddies there. I mean. . .I wouldn't want them to misunderstand. . . you know?. . . I don't want them to think you're like a. . . "present". . . or something. . . .
Great.
No comments:
Post a Comment